Buffalo sauce is one of my favourite things. It makes almost anything taste better. I love buffalo “chicken” fingers with ranch dipping sauce, I love buffalo cauliflower wings, and I love putting Frank’s Red Hot (the only hot sauce worth eating, imo) on pretty much everything. I also love chickpeas, so why not combine two of my favourite things to create the easiest and most delicious party dip ever?
I know people often struggle with what to bring to parties as most traditional snack foods are laden with animal products. If you’re vegan and you’re sick of eating chips and salsa, this dip is for you. If you’re omnivorous and you always serve vegans chips and salsa, this dip is also for you. This buffalo chickpea dip is a guaranteed crowd pleaser, no matter the diet you subscribe to. And the best part is that it is ridiculously easy to make, requiring only 7 ingredients and just 5 minutes of your time.
We start by mashing up a can of chickpeas (make sure you reserve the liquid for another use) until they’re mostly broken up but some pieces remain. I like a chunky dip, but if you prefer yours smoother and more hummus-like, feel free to use a food processor or blender rather than doing this by hand.
All that’s left to do is add the remaining ingredients and mix it all up. We use a ton of Frank’s Red Hot, of course, but also nutritional yeast, vegan mayonnaise, tahini, onion powder, and garlic powder. The nutritional yeast adds a light cheesiness that pairs perfectly with the strong buffalo flavour. Vegan mayonnaise adds richness, and tahini provides depth of flavour and a mild bitterness to cut through the salt and heat. No additional salt is required as the hot sauce is extremely salty on its own.
This buffalo chickpea dip is the perfect snack to bring to your next party. Just pair it with some pita chips or pita bread and you’re good to go! I really hope you’ll give this fantastic recipe a try! Drop me a line in the comments to let me know what you think!
- 1 15oz can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- ½ cup hot sauce, like Frank's Red Hot
- 3 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 2 tbsp vegan mayo, store bought or homemade using this recipe
- 2 tbsp tahini
- 1 tsp onion powder
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp chopped scallion, to garnish (optional)
- pita chips, to serve
- Place the chickpeas in a large bowl and use a potato masher to mash until almost no whole chickpeas remain. Alternatively, you could process in a food processor.
- Add the remaining ingredients and mix until thoroughly combined. Refrigerate the dip until ready to use. Serve with pita chips or pita bread and garnish with fresh scallion, if desired.