Nachos, guys! Crunchy tortilla chips layered with spicy chili, gooey cheese, fiery jalapeños, and savoury olives. Mm mm! Vegans don’t miss out on anything! These nachos are insanely indulgent and incredibly addictive, and they feature an easy 10-minute cashew nacho cheese that you’ll want to eat all on its own. I know you want to make a giant batch of these babies!
The first step to the nacho process is to make the chili topping. The bulk of the chili is made up of textured vegetable protein, and we build the flavours with sautéed onions, fresh jalapeños, garlic, hot sauce, and a custom spice blend. While the chili sautés you can whip up the nacho cheese sauce and then prep the rest of your toppings.
The key to making these nachos extra exceptional is to layer the toppings. I cannot stress the importance of layering. Naked chips will not be tolerated! Once your nachos are all layered up with chili, cheese, jalapeños, and olives, pop them in the oven for 5-10 minutes depending on the heat of your oven. Watch in awe as your nacho cheese bubbles and browns right before your eyes! The finishing touch is some fresh tomatoes and sliced green onion for a welcome cooling element. And then it’s time to dig in! Grab some guacamole and/or vegan sour cream and go to town!
Are you sold on these loaded vegan nachos yet? They’re sure to disappear in a flash at your next gathering! Or just whip up a batch for yourself for dinner – we don’t judge. I totally ate cold nachos for dinner after photographing these. I know you want to give this recipe a try! Drop me a line in the comments to let me know what you think, and don’t forget to leave a rating! You can also tag your pictures on Instagram using #whoneedssalad. Happy eating!
- 1 cup dry textured vegetable protein
- 1 cup hot water
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely minced
- 1 fresh jalapeño, finely minced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- ¼ cup tomato paste
- 1 tsp chili powder
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- ¼ tsp coriander
- ¼ tsp cumin
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp hot sauce, like Frank's Red Hot
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 large bag restaurant-style tortilla chips
- 1 recipe Nacho "Cheese"
- 1 fresh jalapeño, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp sliced kalamata olives
- ¼ cup diced tomato
- sliced green onion, to garnish
- vegan sour cream (optional)
- guacamole (optional)
- Place the TVP in a small bowl and cover with the hot water. Set aside to hydrate.
- Heat the olive oil in a small skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion and jalapeño and sauté until nicely browned, 5-7 minutes.
- Add the garlic and sauté until fragrant, about 30 seconds, then add the tomato paste, chili powder, dried oregano, coriander, and cumin and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add the rehydrated TVP along with the soy sauce, hot sauce, and salt. Cover and sauté for 5-7 minutes. Use a little water to deglaze the bottom of the pan if needed, or if the mixture looks too dry. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Set the oven to broil and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Cover the pan with a shallow layer of tortilla chips, then top with half the chili mixture and half the cheese sauce. Layer the remaining tortilla chips on top of the first and cover with the remaining chili, nacho cheese, sliced jalapeños, and olives.
- Broil in the oven for 5-7 minutes until the chips have browned and the cheese sauce is bubbling. Remove from the oven and top with diced tomatoes and green onion. Serve immediately with vegan sour cream and guacamole if desired.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. Should you choose to make a purchase through one of these links, we receive a small commission which does not affect the price you pay and helps us keep the site running.