I know. Who needs salad, right? Well sometimes, sometimes you just do. And I promise this is a salad unlike any other. No sad lettuce here! This salad revolves around buffalo sauce. I have a strange obsession with buffalo sauce. Every now and then I get an overpowering craving for the stuff, and I just have to have something, anything slathered in that rich, tangy sauce. Frank’s Red Hot is of course a staple in my pantry, which means I can have buffalo sauce whenever I want, but the sauce is essentially half butter, so it’s not exactly my healthy go-to option. Using kale as the salad base makes me feel better about this. Kale is so packed with nutrition that its benefits counteract any adverse effect a cup of butter may have on your body. Right? Probably not. Regardless, kale is awesome, and so is buffalo sauce, so I’ve put them together to form a seriously delicious salad, because, like I said, sometimes you just need a salad (but only a kickass one).
- 1 large bunch kale, leaves separated from stalk and torn into bite-sized pieces
- 1/2 large cucumber (~ 6″), chopped
- 6oz vegan chicken substitute (I used Yves chick’n nuggets)
- 1/4 cup vegan butter or margarine
- 1/2 cup Frank’s Red Hot Original
- 1 tsp coconut sugar
- 1 tsp vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 1/3 cup vegan mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1/4 tsp granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp freshly chopped chives
- 1 tsp freshly chopped dill
- Place all the ingredients for the ranch dressing in a small bowl and whisk to combine. Set aside in refrigerator.
- Prepare the vegan chicken substitute according to package directions. Set aside to cool.
- Pre-heat a small sauce pot over medium heat. Melt the vegan butter until it just begins to bubble. Add the Frank’s, sugar, and Worcestershire and heat through until sugar is dissolved and all ingredients are combined. Do not boil. Remove from heat.
- Place the prepared vegan chicken in a small bowl and pour in about 3/4 of the buffalo sauce. Toss to coat.
- Place the kale and 1/3 of the ranch dressing in a large salad bowl. Massage the dressing into the kale, using your fingers to scrunch and soften the leaves. Add the cucumbers and 1/3 more of the ranch dressing. Toss to combine.
- Add the buffalo-coated chicken to the salad. Top with the remaining ranch dressing and leftover buffalo sauce if desired. Enjoy!